Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - urabuS.....it's in the works!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

urabuS.....it's in the works!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: urabuS.....it's in the works! Reply with quote

Well the motor is gone/sold. Just have to undo some more little things for Dave(65type1) etc.

....and the the EJ20T,intercooler ,MAF,ECU etc is already shipped and on its way. Pick it up Saturday.

Adapter plate has left Hecker Machine in Oregon yesterday.

I guess this will be the build thread Smile

panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant (haywirebutton).....if you're looking.....what is this ground referring to?

WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome - looking forward to your build thread.
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: grounds Reply with quote

Panel from the engine control harness will be a double ground lug to the interface plug...it's usually terminated on the block or top of intake...those grounds carry back to the ecu pinouts on your drawing through the interface plug. Looks familiar what year? 06 sti? I have lots of schematics if you need them
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Panel what are you gonna run for a clutch and pressure plate? I take it you are using the KEP or similar adaptor. If you have a complete harness there is an easy way to sort it/cut it out with 1/2 ending up on the floor and then you can fan out /cut/lengthen for location. It's easy to forget at least one pinout so I never wrap it up completely till tested... save any twisted pairs for the fly by wire or twist new ones and run one shielded but don't use Cat5 like every other guy does. I can show you how to simplify the process and give you a simple pinout that won't intimidate you right off.Any shielded can be cut/spliced/refoiled and heatshrunk so don't worry about length.
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I won't run Cat5. I bought some nice foiled/grounded stuff from Quaele and it worked great for my Megasquirt project. When I get into the wiring I might have to give you a dingle.
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem i'm doing one right now....there will be approx 16 wires that will be abandoned at the ecu plugs on your swap....4 of those can go to a signal interface to simulate the tank, trans, etc.sensors that get abandoned from the soob IF you want a cel in the dash...otherwise I don't worry about them
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started to dismantle the things I'm not using like the power steering pump and take off the air conditioner etc. I'll then move on to taking the header off,oil sump and turbo etc.

The wastegate actuator and wiring seem to be complicated. Confused Any simplifying techniques?

haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70674.htm
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gallery is up now..........

http://www.vvwc.ca/modules.php?set_albumName=album152&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the engine harness intact for now and you will have spare conductors for your aftermarket guages later with minor loom changes under the intake. Assuming you have the complete dash harness through the firewall to the engine interface then there will be about 46 inches of harness from the ecu plugs to the engine interface plugs....leave intact for now and pretty much everything else can be clipped...over on the drivers side or behind glove box you will find a brown relay and a silver relay with a green plug these will become your new fuel pump relay and ignition relay......you will end up with at least 16 conductors that can be clipped at the ecu plugs that will have no bearing on your swap but some you will throw a sim code to later....you will end up with 3 or 4 dangling on the firewall side of the engine interface plugs which will be boost guage,oil pressure and water temp guage. I can come and give you a quick hand tagging and bundling and then you can decide where you want to run OBD 2 plug, place relays,ecu, etc...you will need a speed sensor to keep out of limp mode but that can be made cheaply with a 555 ic and a resistor rather than the crap people put on the CV
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the numbers on the computer? I'll drag out a pinout
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get the ECU # for you. Just realized though........NO igniter,no relays and no dash harness. I kinda knew I wasn't getting the relays etc but I'll have to get an igniter. Can I grab one from Malahat with a few inches of wiring? I could grab a relay stack from them also Question
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is it?there is no separate igniter on that engine...it's built into the coilpack. As long as you have the 4 ecu plugs I probably have spare relays for your IGN and fuel pump circuits....seven dollar double pole Potter Brumfields work fine too... and there are only 2 backup power 12v B+ wires needed to the ecu and one switched from the ign relay to run..all your ecu grounds terminate on the block as in the print you showed....did you get the fuel pump controller?It controls the pump in 3 stages 33% 67% and 100% based on rpm/load If you are going to run the 02 sensors( good idea as that upstream one is a wideband and the downstream one can be used to trim..even with a cat less downpipe) a third relay to the O2 heater circuits isn't a bad idea but the ign relay will handle it too. You should be fine without a trip to the wreckers and for the pain in the ass to pull the dash harness is hardly worth the time for what little you need in the big picture. Did you get the Maf and plug?
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haywirebutton wrote:
...did you get the fuel pump controller? You should be fine without a trip to the wreckers and for the pain in the ass to pull the dash harness is hardly worth the time for what little you need in the big picture. Did you get the Maf and plug?

-I'm not sure what the fuel pump controller looks like?

-I did get the MAF with a little pigtail off it.

-Put me down for a relay if you can for my IGN and fuel pump circuits

-The ECM looks to only have 3 plugs

-do I need a OBD connector?

-and I'm not sure if I see the green 'test/fault code' connectors in my loom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Build Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: