Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Calendar
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - 2004 Jetta Water Pump Replacement?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 Jetta Water Pump Replacement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drexking
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: 2004 Jetta Water Pump Replacement? Reply with quote

I have been recently experiencing overheating issues in my 2.0 L Jetta Wgn. The large radiator fan is not engaging, tested fan it works fine, realized during overheating the top radiator hose was getting really hot while the lower hose was almost cold. Replaced Thermostat still cold lower hose and overheating with no heat coming in through the vents.
So my assumption is Water Pump, has any one undertaken this themselves? Im wondering if I should pay someone to do the work or attempt it myself, I just know that if i mess up the trimming it can have some pretty serious consequences. Any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated, thanks, not used to the daily driver failing on me Smile.

derek

Greg
Emo Mod
Emo Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing belt and waterpump should be done at the same time. Since you are in there and all. If you mechanically inclined you can do it yourself but I'd recommend that you pay a shop to do it.
....|\_______________/|.....
....|_\_____________/_|.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OldSkoolSteve
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely water pump. They are plastic impeller type and fail.
If you have time and patience, you can do it.
The timing will be fine as long as you mark and double mark the locations of cams and crank. Even count the teeth on the old t-belt in between the cogs if needed. Don't be afraid to overcompensate.

haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: pump/t-belt Reply with quote

go for it pretty straight forward.Line up marks then pull old belt install new pump/idlers...check marks ...install belt...rotate x2 ...check marks... done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Water Cooled All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: